What is a Street Legal Golf Cart?

Street Legal Golf Cart

Welcome to Riptide Ridez. You’re probably here because you’ve heard to term ‘street legal golf cart’ and are curious about what a street legal golf cart is, and how it differs from a standard golf cart. We hope this information helps!

Street Legal Golf Cart

At first glance, you might not be able to tell the difference between a standard golf cart and a street legal golf cart. Upon further inspection, you might notice that a street legal golf cart has additional safety equipment such as headlights, tail lights, turn signals, mirrors, brake lights, windshield wipers, safety reflectors, and safety restraints (seatbelts). Similar to standard golf carts, street-legal golf carts must be operated on roads with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less. In South Carolina, you can register your street legal golf cart as an LSV (low-speed vehicle) or a standard golf cart. Registering your golf cart as an LSV will remove the 4-mile maximum travel distance as well as enable you to drive at night. If you register your street legal golf cart as an LSV you will be required to pay annual property tax on the golf cart as well as get golf cart plates.

Standard Golf Cart

Standard golf carts may have some but not all of the safety features required to be a street-legal golf cart. That being said, in the state of South Carolina, a standard golf cart can still be driven on roads that have a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less. Non LSV golf carts are limited to driving no more than 4 miles away from the registered address. In addition, you must have a valid driver’s license and golf cart permit (South Carolina). In order to register your golf cart, you must complete the Golf Cart Permit Registration (SCDMV Form GC-2), provide proof of insurance for the golf cart, have a valid driver’s license number, and pay a $5 registration fee.

Should I Register my Street Legal Golf Cart as an LSV or a Golf Cart?

Determining how to register your street legal golf cart is really up to you and how you plan on using it. In Pawleys Island as an example; if you plan on applying for a golf cart permit to drive on the island your golf cart has to be registered as a golf cart, not a low-speed vehicle or LSV. If you’re okay with the 4-mile rule and not driving at night, registering as a golf cart might be a better option – it’s also cheaper as you won’t have to pay property taxes. If you want to drive at night, and plan on traveling more than 4 miles from the registered address, then an LSV registration would make better sense.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *